Regular hair twist styles are flat and dull. This can leave you looking primary and old school. Brighten that personality and put a little spring in your step.
WHAT ARE SPRING TWIST?
Spring twist hair is an excellent protective hairstyle similar to passion twists and other pre-twisted crochet hairstyles. Spring twists are a hybrid of standard curls and twisted tresses.
The hair holds itself in a twisted coil without the use of friction or a sealing method. The hair doesn’t naturally unravel, thanks to the distressed hairs that contain the twisted curls in place and the use of muscle memory from heat training and locking products like gel and hairspray.
This is unlike any twist that you have ever dealt with before, trust me.
THE SINGLE STRAND THAT ALWAYS SPRINGS BACK
Many twisted designs that we mention here at Crochet Faux Locs use a two-strand twist technique to help create a thick and versatile loc.
Spring twists do not use a two-strand technique. Instead, the hair is wrapped in a spiral shape that mimics the look of actual springs. This is not the same as passion twist or the other two strand looks you see on amazon that combines two individually coiled strands to create one twist. Technically, spiraled tresses like this are customarily classified as curls.
SPRING TWIST VS SENEGALESE TWIST
It comes as quite a shock that these two styles are getting mixed up as the twist designs are not even similar, and the results yield two different looks.
Spring twists use very bouncy rigid hair that has been treated with products that give it a shiny and springy feel. It is a single strand design that resembles black women’s hair that is kinky and afro-textured. The hair is also used in styles such as Nubian twist and sometimes in bomb twist designs.
Senegalese twists use very exotic-looking ropes and twine to complete their design. The hair is shiny but doesn’t have a kinky or bouncy feeling as the hair is very soft to the touch. The twists are done very uniformly, and the precision of every winding is kept closely the same for a very symmetric twist.
COMPREHENSIVE TUTORIAL TO CREATE SPRING TWIST
Sprint twists are not the same as other twisted styles. These unique twists don’t require a constant twist for the hair to stay in a twisted shape or fashion. Instead, the plaits of hair are held in place using heat training and holding products.
PREP: The flexible twist design is created with pre-treated natural hair or synthetic hair for maximum hold. This hair has a coily and bouncy feel to it. Brands with products name such as; Sprint twist, Kanekalon, coily curly hair, toyotress, and fluffy twist hair work great for this design.
FIRST: The hair is warmed in heated water. The temperature is not too hot but definitely above room temperature; this will unlock the hair’s flexibility and loosen the hair products that hold the shape and form of each strand.
SECOND: Hair is sectioned into small groups not more prominent in size than a marker or sharpie. The hair is then lightly stretched and straightened for a more professional outcome.
THIRD: The hair is then tied together on one end in a pre-loop design (For attachment to your own hair), and the hair is then twisted together to create a single coiled bundle and then temporarily held together with the rubber band method.
FOURTH: Once the bundles are fully twirled to the end tips, they are twisted around a heated rod like a curling iron. This is done to help give the design with very loose windings. Your twists should not be tight as this design requires the twist crochet hair to almost separate in some areas for more authentic looks.
FINISH: More product and gel are applied to help form the twists and keep them from unraveling. A flat heating tool is then used to press the twists and shape their molecules into long plaits. The ends are then sealed, and the procedure is repeated on all the other crochet braiding hair.
INSTALLING SPRING TWIST VIDEO:
INSTALLING SPRINT TWIST CROCHET BRAIDING HAIR EXTENSIONS
- Spring twist crochet braids are installed with the use of a crochet needle or latch hook. These tools help attach the pre-looped faux loc design into your hair that has been styled in cornrows or thin box braid sections. Both bases of your hair work the same, but a cornrow design allows for a more natural and realistic look that is hard to dispute.
- Once your hair has been appropriately dressed in a cornrow or box braid design, make sure to pastedown your edges with a good holding gel and apply a little around your parts to help any loose baby hairs.
- Slip the device of choice (needle or hook) through your hair base. Once the clip is visible from the other side, go ahead and lower the pre-looped crochet hair over the hook and pull it back through the entry point.
- When you have the looped hair through the base about 1-2 inches, go ahead and fold the braiding hair through the pre loop to create a knot. This should be done twice for a secure and solid hold.
- Repeat this process starting from the back and gradually moving to the front for a very realistic DIY low maintenance hairstyle that will turn heads all summer long
INSTALLING SPRING TWIST, NOT PRE TWISTED, NO PRE-LOOP:
MAINTAINING SPRING TWIST HAIR GROWTH
- Spring twist hair is low maintenance and acts as a protective style. Hairstyles are considered protective when they allow for regular maintenance and hair growth while protecting them from the environmental elements and harms.
- Because the technique can last you up to about two months, you will have a bit of hair growth. Luckily this hair can be managed by a trained stylist or help from a friend.
- Have them inspect your hair closely to see if you will need to remove the hair to retwist or if the new growth hasn’t affected the styling. If you determine the style is still manageable, then go ahead and press on, darling. If not, then go ahead and carefully remove the locs to restart the look.
HOW LONG DOES SPRING TWIST LAST?
These twists will last anywhere from 3 weeks to 2 months. The hair is silky and kinky and will be very resilient. This means it takes less maintenance and styling to get the look back to a fresh format.
WHAT SIZES DOES SPRING TWIST COME?
Spring twist hairstyles can be small, medium, or long lengths and range from 8 inches to 32 inches. Because the twists are naturally lightweight, they don’t cause any extra tensions when you go with a jumbo look or style.
HOW MANY PACKS OF SPRING TWIST WILL I NEED?
Crochet spring twists are smaller than regular twists and are similar to passion twists sizes. Because of this, we recommend 6-8 packs or pre-twisted spring twist crochet faux locs.
WHAT BRAIDING HAIR SHOULD I GET FOR SPRING TWIST?
Braiding hair that has a natural springy and bouncy feel will work great. Coily and curly hair are also great options as long as the hair has an afro texture and kinky feel like Marley’s hair.
WHAT SHOULD I USE TO HELP UPLIFT MY SPRING TWIST?
Grab your favorite hair spray or mouse and little sprits in problem areas. Ask a friend for help because it’s often hard to see behind your head where the most help is needed.
HOW TO TAKE SMELL OUT OF REUSUSABLE SPRING TWIST?
Rinse faux locs in a warm bath and let them soak. Add in a dab of your favorite fake loc shampoo and gently agitate the hair to help relieve the smell and absorb some of the shampoo’s scent. Some scents will not come out and can ruin a whole hairstyle. Avoid dumpster diving and campfires.
ARE SPRING TWIST HEAVY?
No, spring twists are one of the lightest protective styles, as well as being very soft.
Spring twist hair is a lightweight, protective style that will last longer than many other hairstyles. Grab these beautiful twists and enjoy the full strength and power a great hairstyle can give you! Make sure to submit any questions below in our comment section and leave your email for our monthly subscriptions!