Medium-length box braids are the most popular braided hairstyle among African Americans and the hair braiding community. These are going to be your most common box braid hair sizes and go-to reference to the most famous medium box braids in a movie, Poetic Justice, released in 1993 starring Janet Jackson and Tupac.
WHAT SIZE ARE MEDIUM BOX BRAIDS?
Medium box braids will be braided plaits ranging from 10 inches to 20 inches (≈ 25.4CM – 50.8CM). For visual reference, this will be any box braid hairstyle that reaches past your shoulder line and not past the midpoint of the torso.
WHAT MAKES MEDIUM BOX BRAIDS SO GREAT AND BENEFICIAL?
Medium box braids are considered one of the most popular hairstyle sizes, and they are considered a protective hairstyle when properly installed. This means you are not only looking great but doing your best to help your natural hair grow!
WHY ARE MEDIUM BOX BRAIDS A GREAT PROTECTIVE HAIRSTYLE?
Medium-sized box braids are excellent at keeping all hair types damp and protecting the curly ends from the elements while allowing for average hair growth.
Braids at a medium length don’t prevent hair from growing, which means it provides for the regular and average transfer of nourishment and moisture. This means less conditioner and less breakage. Medium box braids never have to be detangled when removed as the hair is always kept swept into nicely braided locs.
OTHER BENEFITS OF MEDIUM BOX BRAIDS HAIRSTYLES
Protecting your hair and allowing natural growth is only scratching the surface of how great a medium box braid hairstyle can be for you. Some other incredible benefits are listed below:
- Low Maintenance – Box braids that have been appropriately installed only need a little love to uplift them to brand new. These styles are one of the easiest to take care of and require the least amount of hair care.
- No Tangling – Because medium box braids are tightly braided together, there leave no ends to get tangles with. The braided plaits are easily separated with simple finger combing.
- Long-Lasting – Medium size box braids last long because they are at a very manageable length. These medium lengths are easy to keep track of.
- DIY Fast Removal – Medium box braids are very easy to remove. Whether you used the crochet braid method, knotless box braid, or the braiding hair extension method, all styles are easy to remove.
INSTALLING MEDIUM BOX BRAIDS
Medium box braids can be created in many styles and fashions. The techniques are easy to complete as long as the hair length doesn’t exceed a medium size of 20 inches(50.8CM) or past the mid-torso.
KNOTLESS BOX BRAIDSThis method of installing medium box braids requires the user to have natural hair that is at least 3 inches or able to be braided. Knotless box braid braiding hair extensions, made of human or synthetic hairs, are gradually added to increase the length of the braided plaits to the desired size. The braiding hair is kept together with the feed-in technique, and hair tips are sealed with the standard sealing method.
CROCHET BOX BRAIDS
Crochet braids are just like faux locs and are considered the easiest and fastest way of achieving the most high-quality and realistic-looking hairstyles. Typically the braider will fashion the customer’s head with a cornrow base for later installing the medium box braid locs. Once the base is completed, the stylist will gradually tie pre-braided crochet hair through the customer’s natural hair. The braided locs are then tied, and the process is repeated until the desired look is achieved.
NATURAL MEDIUM BOX BRAIDS
Creating medium box braids with natural hair is going to require hair that reaches the waistline. Natural hairstyles can damage the user’s hair if there is over-manipulation. Make sure to take a hair vacation between braided stylings to avoid breakage.
FULL LACE BRAIDED WIG
If you don’t have the hair to create the look, go with a lace wig or lace front. These high-quality human hair wigs not only look natural but are made with human hair. Even braided wigs made with kanekalon hair and other synthetic-fiber brands look very realistic when completed on a lace wig. These are almost indistinguishable from natural box braids. You can buy these wigs on sites like Etsy, eBay, Amazon, and Facebook marketplace.
MAINTENANCE TIPS FOR MEDIUM BOX BRAID UPDOS
Check out all the best tips for beginners and those experts who are trying to grow their knowledge on adequately maintaining their medium braids. Always consult with a trained professional on the best hair care regimen for you!
- BABY HAIRS – Keep baby hairs short and trimmed when using braiding hair or hair extensions. Hairstyles look more realistic when the majority of the hair used is appropriately braided.
- AVOID LONG BOX BRAID – Hair grows fast; keep it trimmed and braided to avoid reaching waist length. Long hair and box braids will carry more weight and tensions and require more maintenance and money.
- EDGE CONTROL – Keeping a sharp hairline is key to having an eye-catching look. Those curly hairs can make an excellent hairstyle look frizzy and old. African Americans and black women who have black hair m know precisely what I’m talking about. Use braid wax to control those edges as well as hold down those baby hairs!
- VERSATILITY – Medium Box braids need little to no maintenance and do not need to be cleaned every day. Avoid over washing, as this can shorten the life of your hair. If you need to rinse your box braids, check out this box braid video tutorial to wash your plaits properly.
NEED MORE MEDIUM BOX BRAID MAINTENANCE TIPS?
Check out this lovely tutorial video on the best tips of tips to maintaining those beautiful medium size box braid tresses.
BEST MEDIUM BOX BRAID HAIR COLORS
Going with a medium box braid updo will help you get the professional recognition you deserve. Try out some of these fantastic hair colors to help personalize those braids.
- BLONDE BOX BRAIDS
- WHITE/ OFF – WHITE
- PURPLE BOX BRAIDS
MOST POPULAR MEDIUM BOX BRAID HAIRSTYLES
Finding the right color and just having a medium box braids style is not going to be enough. Put those beautiful braids and throw them up in some unique looks. Some of these stylish looks include:
- High Ponytail Box Braids
- Half up High Bun
- BOHO BOX BRAIDS
- JUMBO BOX BRAIDS/BIG BOX BRAIDS
- BOB BOX BRAIDS
- MICRO BRAIDS
WHAT HAIR PRODUCTS DO I NEED FOR MY MEDIUM BOX BRAIDS?
Box braids are not going to require any chemicals or products. Use wax or gel to help lock down frizz and a dab of moose to help bring back life to those chunky tresses.
ARE MY MEDIUM BOX BRAIDS GENDER SPECIFIC?
No, the same hair technique and hair is used in both female and male box braids. It’s the technique and stylings that are changed to seem more feminine and or more masculine.
WHO IS ALLOWED TO INSTALL MEDIUM BOX BRAIDS?
Typically a certified cosmetologist or hair braider certification is required to install braids on someone’s hair or to act as a hairstylist for consultation purposes.
CAN I HAVE MORE THAN ONE LENGTH OF BOX BRAIDS IN MY HAIRDO?
Yes. Combining different box braids is how you create unique and extraordinary new looks that no one has seen before. You never know when you could potentially create a new look that no one has ever seen before.
ARE BOX BRAIDS BAD FOR YOUR HAIR?
Braids don’t typically damage one’s hair. Usually, it’s the manipulation of hair strands that weren’t in the best condition that break. Box braids generally are lightweight without any tension.
Not only do medium box braided styles top our charts for one of the most popular box braid sizes and protective styles, but medium box braids have lots of benefits as well. Make sure to subscribe to our page by leaving your email below for all our trendy articles, and don’t be afraid to leave us a comment with any questions you have or think another reader might have about medium box braids.