Jumbo box braids are an elite game changer for any hairstyle and appearance. There is a lot of misinformation online about these box braid sizes. It is essential to understand what they are, their benefits, how to create them, and so much more. This article aims to help answer all those questions you might have with some information you might not know you needed!
WHAT ARE JUMBO BOX BRAIDS
Jumbo box braids are the largest of all box braid hair sizes regarding the thickness of the braid and not the actual length of each braided plait. The average thickness of a jumbo box braid is 1.25 Inches (3.175cm), about two Bic lighters. These locs are going to require substantially larger sections of braiding hair to complete the look. This look can be completed in short, medium, and extended box braid hairstyle lengths.
THE BENEFITS TO A JUMBO BOX BRAID STYLING
- Big box braids have always been in fashion. Just recently, the trend to go with more prominent and jumbo sizes has grown exponentially.
- The bigger the braids, the better the protective hairstyle prevents over manipulation of individual plaits.
- Jumbo sizes of box braids will be quicker to create, even for DIY hair braiders and certified hairstylists.
- Jumbo box braid hair extensions are easier to install with more natural and realistic looks.
- The larger box braid updos send a message of wealth and prosperity. (Especially when paired with more extensive shiny metal accessories.)
STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO CREATING JUMBO BOX BRAIDS
This guide will help you create a jumbo box braid hairstyle with braiding hair extensions. The hair you use is optional and is totally up to you.
STEP 1 CO-WASH
You would never apply a screen protector to a dirty iPhone screen. Don’t apply a protective hairstyle like jumbo box braids without adequately cleaning your head, scalp, and natural hair thoroughly. Use a shampoo that is light and soft on your hair. Grab hair products that also offer excellent nourishment to help lock in moisturization.
STEP 2 BASE PREP
Jumbo box braids require adequately larger sections of hair to apply for the chunky hair extensions. Adjust your strips for larger areas that still look natural. Use a rat-tail comb for even friendly units. Create triangle sections near edges and Make sure to lay those baby hairs flat and out the way with some excellent holding wax.
STEP 3 ANCHOR
Begin braiding your natural hair into large box braids. Grab your crochet box braids and a crochet tool. Stick the device through the braid and grab the pre loop of the pre-braided box braid. Pull through your hair until you have enough of the circle to tie the hair extension correctly.
STEP 4 HIDE THE TIPS
To complete the look, go ahead and grab the crochet tool and stick it through the ox braid hair extensions about 4 inches from your roots attachment. Ziz zag some of the crochet tools through the braided plaits until you get to the root. Book your natural box braid onto the crochet tool and pull through the braids near the center.
STEP 5 REPEAT
Repeat the easy installation throughout the entire head to complete the easy DIY hairstyle. Make sure to keep the box braids as natural as possible.
BOX BRAID TUTORIAL FOR JUMBO SIZES
For visual guidance and more help installing those jumbo box braids, we included a quick and easy video tutorial to help all those DIY hair braids consider. For help with a knotless box braid feed-in technique, check out our knotless box braids articles.
MAINTAIN THOSE JUMBO BOX BRAIDS
Now that you got a great style fully installed. You have to maintain them properly. Jumbo box braid can go from excellent to disaster quick. You have to keep those jumbo box braids weekly, or you will have to take them out!
Here are some quick and simple hair care tips to keep those locs looking amazing in jumbo sizes:
- You will have to wrap jumbo box braids when you sleep because of the size and amount of damage that can occur while you sleep
- Place your larger box braids in a shower cap when rinsing off to avoid overwashing those big braids. (larger braids and faux locs take longer to dry off.)
- Get your hair often tightened and at least once every two weeks to maintain a professional and wealthy look. This is considered a low-maintenance hairstyle.
- Cover problem areas with faux loc accessories like cuffs and coils to help hold the braids together.
- Watch your step and where your braids are swinging. Jumbo box braids are more likely to bump against walls and doorways, causing minor abrasions in shiny braids.
TRENDY JUMBO BOX BRAID HAIRSTYLES FOR INSPIRATION
You are looking for some inspo on the best up-dos to rock those fabulous box braids in jumbo sizes. Here’s a list of the three best jumbo box braids looks to get that eye-catching look from your favorite crush this summer!
- HIGH PONYTAIL
- HALF UP / TAPER SIDES
- CORNROW BOX BOX BRAIDS
HOW LONG DO JUMBO BOX BRAIDS LAST?
Jumbo box braided hairstyles will last up to 8 weeks if properly maintained and taken care of. Always consult with a trained professional if you notice any issues.
ARE JUMBO BOX BRAIDS POPULAR?
Box braids are a trendy hairstyle in the African American community and the hair braiding community. Jumbo Box braids styles are commonly seen on black women and black males in many forms.
WHAT ARE THE MOST POPULAR JUMBO BOX BRAID HAIR COLORS?
Box braids come in many natural hairstyle colors but are most commonly seen in black hair combinations. Try a popular ombre or blonde box braid to really stand out in long box braids and long hair braid creations.
HOW LONG DO JUMBO BOX BRAIDS TAKE?
Depending on the installation method, Knotless box braids and crochet box braids in jumbo sizes will take about 45 minutes.
Having a jumbo box braid hairstyle is exciting and stylish. Make sure to follow maintenance suggestions for better long-lasting braids hairstyles. Don’t forget to submit your email below to subscribe to our updates on new articles and news. If you have any questions, don’t be afraid to leave a comment below!.