Table of Contents
You have heard of the traditional Senegalese twist or Marley twist hairstyle. But have you heard of Havana twists?
This style is as unique as it is exotic with a whole new hair texture. So sit down because we have the entire scoop for you!
WHAT ARE HAVANA TWIST?
The massive twist resembles a mix of jumbo Senegalese twist and Marely twist. Havana twist uses coarse hair similar to other kinky twist designs, except the hair is much larger with less weight. This allows the user to create a much larger twist pattern without adding a noticeable amount of tension.
WHERE DO THEY GET THE NAME HAVANA?
The origins of the Havana twist come straight from the island of Cuba! Originally called La Habana, Havana was discovered by conquistador Diego Velazquez De Cuellar on August 25th, 1515. Back then, the city was still growing and getting attacked left and right by pirates and the french. It wasn’t till the town built a fortress and ramped its infrastructure that it later became a great place for trade and a growing economy for Spain.
Because of the widespread popularity of trading on the Havanna port, many local jewelry and crafts were exported worldwide. Very noticeably, the Hanava twist design used on a lot of clothing is likely where the twist gets its name. Many sailors wear Havana-designed clothing that had hints of Spain and Cuban methods.
HAVANA TWIST VS SENEGALESE TWIST
The hair used in the Havanna hairstyles is much more expensive than the ropes or yarn typically used in Senegalese stylings to achieve a shiny and reflective look. Havanna twists are similar to these strands but generally are a lot more coarse, like Marley hair with fewer straight hairs. Havana twists are also larger in diameter and circumference, resulting in more occasional twists.
HOW TO INSTALL HAVANA TWIST HAIRSTYLES IN UNDER 2 HOURS
Installing any crochet hair extension follows the traditional pre-loop technique and is comparably much faster than trying to create the style from scratch, which can take up to 8 hours even with professionals’ help. Crochet braid styles are so easy and can be a great DIY project.
Crochet styles use a pre-made loop made with the Havana twist hair. This allows for easy installation with the use of a crochet needle. With the loop being made out of hair, it is straightforward to hide the attachment point.
- All styles start with a regular base made from cornrows or by separating the hair in small sections similar to box braids depending on your hair type.
- Once the natural hair has been adequately sectioned, the hairstylist slips a crochet needle or latch hook tool underneath the wrapped human hair tresses and then slips the pre loop over the instrument’s hook.
- Pull the tool back through the entry point with the pre-looped Havanna hair and tie a double know. Once the braiding hair is attached, repeat the process throughout the entire head.
- Don’t forget to help your style look professional by properly laying down those baby hairs for a bit of edge control.
CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO TUTORIAL FOR MORE HELP:
MAINTAINING HAVANA TWIST AND ALL THE TIPS AND TRICKS TO LONG-LASTING LOCS
With larger locs and twists, you need to treat your hair a little differently. Havana hairs are much larger than regular Marley and Senegalese twists styles, so naturally, they will hold more moisture and take longer to dry.
With all your hair rolled into these jumbo Havana locs, you have to plan your day around a cleaning. Proper hair care is going to help you keep those twists for the longest time possible. Try a couple of these tricks to help prolong those lovely locs
- Always rolls those twists into a bun and cover them with a shower cap or protective covering. It’s better to wash twists by themselves and separately from your daily showers as your protective styles don’t need to be cleaned more than once every two weeks.
- A stormy night’s sleep can destroy a whole leave-in look. Grab a satin bonnet and silk pillowcase to help the restless nights.
- When your locs start looking dull and flat, rejuvenate them with a simple dab of moose. When you can’t use conditioner, this will help lift those hairs and give them a nice healthy shine.
- Very gently run a finger comber through the base and outwards to help detangle tangled locs.
- Burn to lose hairs away with a tiny bit lighter to help maintain frizz and tighten long hair twists and reseal their knotless tips from unraveling.
5 BEST HAVANA TWISTS HAIR COLOR FOR SUMMER 2021
Many black women are running to the salons to get the same old styles last year, with doors finally opening back up. Don’t be basic; check out these 5 Trending color combinations to truly stand ahead and above the status quo.
- Ombre colors with any color base are an absolute this season, period!
- Autumn brown and mambo brown shades!
- Strawberry, Burgundy, and or cherry are all shades of red that will help those twist braids.
- Be bold, bring back Black! This season is already looking African American, wrock those natural black colors!
- A new and edgy style of Grey is making waves with colors like Silver and Platinum taking the stage!
WHAT HAIR DO I USE FOR HAVANA TWIST?
Havana hair is similar to Marley hair with a coarse hair texture and kinky appearance but generally is lighter in weight and clumped into larger sections for more significant twists.
HOW LONG DOES HAVANA TWIST LAST?
Havana hairstyles, like other faux loc and twist, locs styles have the potential to last a very long amount of time but will be ultimately be determined by how well you treat and maintain those tresses.
HOW DO I STOP HAVANA TWIST FROM UNRAVELING?
If you have had the hairstyle for a couple of weeks and one of the plaits begins to unravel, try and use a dark-colored rubber band to hold the twists together. If this is happening in the first two weeks of the hairstyle, you might be about to visit the stylist for a free retwist, as this should be happening that early.
HOW ARE HAVANA TWIST MADE?
Havana uses a handmade twist technique with two large bundles of coarse hair. The Havana twist follows the same intertwining pattern as other twist styles except for what hair and the size and amount of twists.
We appreciate the visit and hope we answered all your havan twist questions. Make sure to leave a comment below and submit your email to stay up to date with all of the beautiful crochet faux loc news.
– Useful tips
– Trendy hairstyles
– Latest products